Western Australia’s Technology Park (TPWA), Bentley, was established as the first such facility in Australia in 1985. Designated land was gazetted according to legislation in 1986. Adjoining land currently occupied by the Department of Agriculture and Food (DAF) in the locality of Kensington was also gazetted as Technology Park in 2007. This extended the TPWA area established and managed by the Minister under section 6(e) of the Industry and Technology Development Act 1998.
The uses of TPWA and associated land of some 60 hectares are controlled by the special use zoning for research and development within the Kensington locality by the City of South Perth, and within the Bentley locality by the Town of Victoria Park.
TPWA serves as a diverse technology hub and as important common-use infrastructure for technology development in Western Australia . Many leading local, national and international science and technology companies are based here.
A current listing of TPWA’s residents is available here.
A current tour of common-use facilities is available here.
TPWA is a Western Australian Government initiative developed with the following objectives to:
- Support emerging local companies seeking to develop and export diverse technology based products , services and intellectual property;
- Encourage active collaboration between the private and public sector technology development initiatives;
- Attract international technology focused companies and research organisations to locate their operations to Western Australia;
- Promote commercialisation of research and development in association with local research centres and universities;
- Create and maintain international and national strategic links Provide modern common-use economic infrastructure to further growth and economic diversity.
Management and Administration
The Government of Western Australia, through its Department of Jobs, Science and Innovation, administers the Act and is responsible for managing Technology Park WA, Bentley and Kensington. The Department engages the services of Burgess Rawson Pty Ltd, for the daily operation of TPWA and common-use facilities.
 The relevant provisions in now repealed legislation transitioned under section 27 of the current Industry and Technology Development Act 1998